I have been itching to write for a while. Start afresh with everything and for once not give up. I have even given up the count of things that I have taken up and then abandoned. At some point, it all became this one rebellious thing to not conform. To destroy everyone’s idea of me – the girl who did everything, the girl who could do anything, the girl who was everywhere to someone who just wanted to just be.
But to exist this inanely gets to you after a while. Are we at the end of the day all rats? Well-travelled, well read, well spoken, but accustomed to running after cheese? For years of not running behind anything has only made me listless and unsure of myself. When I got off my treadmill, it was with the thought of finding myself as someone who is not just a sum total of everyone else’s expectations. What I didn’t know about myself then, but I do now, is that expectations fuelled me. They made me reach out for things I wouldn’t really have bothered with. Some of those things were that I wanted, some that I didn’t but all that shaped me to be the person that I eventually became.
My biggest defence in favour of marriage was always, it is a known evil, let’s get it done with and move on in life. Being in this relationship had become my preoccupation since I left pursuing other things. To make it work, to make it last and to take it to its logical end – marriage. Now that I have, I realize I don’t really have a plan for beyond that. A year has gone by. A singularly awesome year that reaffirmed that I chose right . But now what?
To start afresh, I have decided to list out the things that interest me these days and my blog going forward will focus on these interests below and hopefully be a channel for growth and introspection as time goes on. So in no particular order, this is what I am digging right now:
- Politics – Indian politics, figuring out American politics and world politics.
- Cooking – As a nouveau cook, trying to do it as regularly as possible, I spend a lot of time looking up both recipes for daily staples and Indian exotica to serve my husband. Also as a pseudo north Indian attempting authentic Tam-Brahm cooking with online instructions and telephonic rescues by in-laws, it is a fun journey to be on!
- Baking – In the spirit of a true foodie, I’ll separate baking into a separate interest. A very recent addition to my interest that is driven mainly by the ease of availability of all imaginable baking ingredients at the local grocery store. My attempts at rising above and beyond the cake mix baker should hopefully be chronicled right here.
- Reading – An on-again, off-again passion. My travel woes of last year had just one pleasure – an hour of uninterrupted reading time. The rushed two station commute these days in the rush hour is making it that much more difficult but I’ll keep at it.
- Travel – I love exploring cities for their local flavour – be it the next place in DC for a cuppa or new cupcake in town, festivals happening across the city or two towns away – wine, food and travel exotica do truly make my heart light!
And while I pursue these interests, join me in this self-discovery on CoffeeBeans and TeaLeaves!